Hair transplantation is a relatively safe surgery and is associated with very few risks. We can minimize most of the complications by proper surgical technique and wound care.
Follicular unit extraction is a common and most widely used technique as it is scar-free, stitch-free and associated with fewer complications
Complications are: –
- General complications: – Adverse reaction to anaesthesia may occur. Local anaesthesia is sufficient in most cases. Stinging sensation may occur while injecting. High dose or intravascular injections may cause cardiac abnormalities. The meticulous technique prevents such complications. At Derma Circles, we use a vibratory device to reduce the pain of needles. Our trained doctors always give anaesthesia.
- During surgery: – as with any other surgical procedure, there is some amount of bleeding. However, the blood loss in a case of hair transplant is less than 100 ml which is about one-fourth of the blood given in blood donation. At Derma Circles we use tumescent anaesthesia to reduce the blood loss during hair transplant.
- Post-surgery: –
- As it is with any other surgery, some amount of discomfort or pain is inevitable during a hair transplant surgery. During the surgery, we give proper technique and dose for local anaesthesia to ensure a comfortable surgical experience. One may use massager or vibrating devices while injecting anaesthesia to reduce the pain.
- Some patients may observe temporary swelling around the forehead and eyes after the procedure due to use of tumescent solution which may persist for 3-5 days and subsides on its own within a few days.
- Donor area complications:-
1. One of the biggest fears for patients getting a transplant is the visible scar. Both FUT and FUE leave scars. In case of FUE, there are tiny, circular, dot-like scars left from the extraction of individual follicles. These may be like small white dots which fades away over time. These are easily hidden when the new hairs grow in the donor area.
- Numbness is a common side effect which patient may feel within the first few days of the surgery. While some patients are unable to feel any sensation on the scalp, others may feel a burning or itching sensation. It can last a few days to even a few weeks. It is nothing to panic about, as it generally subsides on its own.
- Overharvesting may lead to thinning, and patchy hair loss. At our centre before starting the extraction process, safe donor area should be demarcated, and overharvesting is avoided by extracting every 3rd or 4th hair follicle.
- Recipient area complications: –
- Infection is one of the common concerns in any surgery. But rarely it can happen if proper hygiene and sterilization techniques are not followed or if the patient is having some medical problems like diabetes or if the patient is having excessive crusting in the post-operative period. At Derma Circles, we follow strict sterilization protocols and use sterile disposable materials wherever possible to ensure maximum level of hygiene and sterilization. Post operatively we teach all our patients to do head wash on 3rd day post-surgery with mild medicated shampoo as advised by us and to use the medicines as prescribed in the post-operative advice.
- Unnatural/poor hairline: – Unnatural appearance of transplanted hair is a complication of a poor design as it leads to dissatisfaction of the patient over time, especially in the case of evolving progressive hair loss behind the transplanted hairline. At our centre we create zones of variable density to mimic the distribution pattern of hair giving a very natural result.
- Non-surgical complications: –
- Patient dissatisfaction: – one of the commonly encountered nonsurgical complication. As hair transplant is the surgery of illusion and patient is explained before the surgery with hairline design and number of grafts to avoid any disappointment.
- Drug allergy: – This is very rarely seen complication. We prophylactic administered the drug before surgery to seen any side effects.
Most of the complications can be avoided by following post-operative instructions carefully, and with antibiotics. Most of these are also rare occurrences which can be easily avoided by getting a transplant from a hair transplant surgeon.
How do Derma Circles help avoid complications?
We follow strict protocols to minimize the chances of side effect and also to provide good result:
– By maintaining high standards of sterilization and disinfection at our centre daily.
– The surgeon takes charge of the procedure and all pre- and post-operative consultations.
– Hair transplantation Procedure include multiple steps of which giving anaesthesia, slit making, harvesting is done by the doctor and implantation is done by our technicians under the supervision of the surgeon.
– Highly experienced and dedicated team.
– We prescribe antibiotics in all cases.
Consult with DERMACIRCLES hair transplant clinic in order to get complete consultation for your hair loss treatment. Call for Appointment or more details:8000-4000-82. You can also email us at [email protected].